Jacksonville, FL (February 26, 2019) — After nearly 10 months of hard work and many meetings, City Council passes Councilman Becton’s Bill 2018-271 during Tuesday nights meeting. The bill was first introduced on April 24, 2018 and is regarding road width in neighborhoods and inter-connectivity.
Before City Council voted, Councilman Becton shared the following words:
“Before you please find Version 14 of Bill 2018-271. This legislation is important for three reasons:
It sets improved standards for ‘Building New Neighborhoods’.
- It improves “Public Safety Access” within those New Neighborhoods.
- It protects tax payers from unnecessary expenses and repairs incurred from construction within those neighborhoods, and lastly;
- It improves public safety and access within commercial and office corridors.
To accomplish those four objectives, this bill:
- Provides warranties for work within the city’s Right-of-Ways and for the construction of public facilities within new neighborhoods.
- It provides within New neighborhoods where lot sizes are 40, 50, and 60 feet wider ancillary roads where higher density communities are a result.
- It improves the road building process by implementing a two-lift construction process and finally;
- It helps to implement the comprehensive plan’s objective for “inter-connectivity” for New and Existing businesses by eliminating excessive curb cuts and access points that endanger pedestrians, bicyclist and drivers due to potential crash points as a result.
This legislation was the work of a great deal of help, collaboration and compromise from various individuals and groups, field trips to new neighborhoods and fire houses over the past year.
I certainly would like to stop and say Thank you to all those who have helped me get to this point and provided the many suggestions and recommendations which have achieved a compromise on this bill. For everyone, much appreciation is extended.
With that Colleagues, it would be an honor to have your vote for approval!”
Previous article and information can be found, Visit: